Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Summer Reading List

Summer always brings a lot of excitement, joy, relaxation, free time and READING! Especially for college students, summer is always the most opportune time to catch up on reading or read for leisure instead of books that are required for class. The following is a list of books I plan to read this summer with a brief explanation of why I am reading them now. I encourage you to click on the title and check out more information regarding the books. Hopefully this will encourage you to pick up a book or two as well, and who knows...maybe one off my list will catch your eye!

Stand: A Call to the Endurance of the Saints by John Piper and Justin Taylor. This book, edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor is based off the Desiring God Conference in 2007 and gives readers a case for biblical perseverance in ministry. I'm reading this book at this point to gain a biblical view of how to stand strong persevere in the ministry that awaits me.

The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World by David F. Wells. This is a book that my dad has been imploring for me to read for months and months now. Finally, it has reached the top of my list! My dad has used this book for illustrations in countless sermons and according to him, Wells does a phenomenal job in calling readers to stand firm in the Gospel and what is Biblical.

What Is A Healthy Church? by Mark Dever. This small book has been acclaimed as one of the best books on the church and how the church should function. I have wanted to read one of Dever's books for a long time and have heard that this is one of his best.

What Is A Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwile. I love hearing Thabiti speak and have yet to read his book. I received this book as a gift from my father for preaching last summer and feel that it would be great to read this alongside What Is A Healthy Church?

Why Johnny Can't Preach: The Media Have Shaped the Messengers by T. David Gordon. I have been looking forward to reading this book ever since reviews started popping up on Justin Taylor and Tim Challies' blogs. Considering my field of study and the career God is calling me to, this book is a must read in my opinion and I have heard nothing but great things about it. I ordered it the other day and am looking very forward to its arrival so that I can break it open and read!

This is my list as of now. If it changes or I finish these books and have time for one or two more, I'll post later as well as provide updates on my progress. Enjoy your summer and catching up on some reading!

0 comments:

About Standing Firm

Standing Firm was created to be a source of theological truth in a world that is filled with philosophies and empty deceit. God's Word is filled with charges to those that are called by His name to stand firm and to not be conformed to this world. We must heed the charge of the Apostle Paul to the church in Rome: "I appeal to you therefore brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a spiritual sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, so that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good, acceptable and perfect" (Romans 12:1-2).

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP