Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Priority of Discernment When it Comes to Reading

I'm reading a great book on preaching entitled Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching by many great theologians and scholars. One part of the book in particular that really challenged me as I was reading yesterday was in the chapter entitled "Experiential Preaching" by Joel R. Beeke. The part that jumped out on me most was on the subject of books and how to be discerning in what we read. Although this book is intended for pastors, I think this particular excerpt should be read and held onto by all who are devout followers of Christ. It reads:

Be selective about what you read, however. Measure all your reading against the touchstone of Scripture. So much of today's Christian literature is froth, riddled with Arminian theology or secular thinking. Time is too precious to waste on nonsense. Read more for eternity than time, more for spiritual growth than for professional advancement. Think of John Trapp's warning: "As water tastes of the soil it runs through, so does the should taste of the authors that a man reads."

Before picking up a book, ask yourself: Would Christ approve of this book? Will it increase my love for the Word of God, help me to conquer sin, offer abiding wisdom, and prepare me for the life to come? Or could I better spend time reading another book?

Speak to others about the good books you read. Conversation about experiential reading promotes experiential living.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

I agree and disagree with this. I think that you should always becareful about what you read, but at the same time I think you should expose yourself to some of the more questionable books. I don't think though that you should dive into these questionable books with an open mind, but rather with the mindset of being like a hawk, keeping a watchful eye out for any heretical statements. I say this because you would then be able to warn people of the dangers that are within the book. So, while this is not necessarily reading for your own eternity, but instead reading for the possible chance to help someone else with their own eternity (God willing at least)

About Standing Firm

Standing Firm was created to be a source of theological truth in a world that is filled with philosophies and empty deceit. God's Word is filled with charges to those that are called by His name to stand firm and to not be conformed to this world. We must heed the charge of the Apostle Paul to the church in Rome: "I appeal to you therefore brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a spiritual sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, so that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good, acceptable and perfect" (Romans 12:1-2).

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP